Governments and corporations are forcing utility ‘smart’ meters onto consumers’ homes saying that they give consumers control over their own energy bills. This propaganda-like message is quite misleading and more importantly completely ignores the tremendous financial, health, safety, privacy, and cybersecurity risks that smart meters impose on consumers and society .
Highlights of the Study:
- American survey respondents have very little knowledge about the smart grid.
- Exposure to smart meters increases this knowledge.
- Knowledge and exposure are associated with negative perceptions of smart meters.
- Smart meters are seen more negatively than the grid as a whole.
- Negative reactions and unfavorable views of smart technologies among consumers are rising.