CLAREMORE, Okla. – A report to the Claremore Fire Department Thursday night blamed a house fire on a smart meter
– the fire department quickly debunked that claim, but it already began its spread on social media. Homeowner Sam Martin said he doesn’t know anything about smart meter conspiracies, but when he walked out of the home he saw sparks and smoke around the meter box.
“Nobody knows anything about them, so everybody’s worried and concerned,” Martin said.
After the flames were out, Claremore Fire Marshal Jason Crandall began investigating the cause. He said it did not take long to see the fire started due to faulty wiring inside the home and not inside the meter.
“The fire was in the vicinity of the meter, but it was inside the wall and about a foot down,” Crandall said.
Concerns and theories about smart meters online are widespread– including worries about pricing, privacy, even radiation. The concerns are largely unsourced and unsubstantiated, but Claremore Fire Department officials issued a statement to help debunk at least the latest concern in their own backyard. The fire chief assured the public that they’ve dealt with no fires caused by the smart meters, which started being installed in the area early last year.
The damage to the home was concentrated to the exterior wall aside from smoke damage and is still livable, Martin said.