From: Ed Friedman
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 12:14 AM
Subject: Notes on Saturday’s Wireless Public Health Summit
On Saturday October 10th, the Wireless Technology and Public Health Summit was held in the heart of Silicon Valley at the Mountain View Center for the Performing Arts. The event was sponsored by the Santa Clara Medical Association Alliance Foundation. Doctors, researchers, and public policy experts in the field of wireless health impacts joined together for the first time in the heart of Silicon Valley and declared that there is more than enough evidence to reign in wireless technology, particularly in schools and other locations where sensitive populations spend time. The event was sold out reflecting growing awareness of the subject.
A synopsis of speaker points can be found at the Stop Smart Meters link below and Loretta Lynch comments are pasted below the link. Other speakers were Marty Pall, PhD, Toril Jelter, MD Suruchi Chandra, MD, Peter Sullivan, Victoria Dunkley, MD and Katie Singer.
Loretta Lynch, Former President of the California Public Utilities Commission, and one of California’s most influential Attorneys
- The science is clear: EMF’s affect health, particularly the most vulnerable among us.
- Those living within 150 feet of power lines are at increased risk of serious disease
- Utilities and telecommunications companies know these facts but obtain “obscenely obsessive profits” from this technology and are in a “desperate scramble” to set regulations in stone before public awareness increases and reforms are widely demanded.
- All health and environmental costs from wireless tech are “externalized” to society at large
- At this point, we are lucky if regulators are ignorant about this issue. More often they are co-opted and corrupted.
- The “smart grid” and “smart meters” are a “lucrative boondoggle” that the CPUC approved
- CPUC says “pay me and I’ll give you what you want” in secret backroom deals- a classic case of corruption and bribery, revealed in e-mails.
- CPUC has become a “rogue agency” essentially controlled by corporations (which is what we have also been saying for five years!)
- This has made a mockery of due process, and Michael Peevey, former CPUC President , has acted as if the CPUC were his own personal playground.
- CPUC has allowed utilities to cut corners, skip safety regulations, etc.
- A parade of former CPUC Commissioners now work for the utilities- the so-called revolving door.
- The smart meter rollout was plagued with problems, and the only way regulators approved it was that they have “drunk the cool-aid.”
- The $2.2 billion+ cost of smart meters and the smart grid came about because of a secret dal between Peevey and the utilities, and the costs have been borne by ratepayers.
- Analog meters are “simple, accurate, and reliable.” There was no need to change them out. The only reason they were replaced with smart meters is that the utilities were not profiting off them any longer- they had “fully depreciated.”
- Utilities have entered the “big data” game and using and profiting from your private electric usage data. Protecting the privacy of our home has become harder and harder.
- She is optimistic even though she has “seen the sausage made” because the science is so strong. She sees a change in public policy coming within 5 years, and urges us to educate the legislature, as you never know when you will find an intrigued official (though most are corrupt).
- We need to continue educating the media about the facts (i.e. the John Oliver Tom Wheeler “dingo” segment really raised awareness)
The event was a credible and informative presentation of the damage being caused by wireless technology, especially to our precious and developing next generation. It was also an inspiring call to action and reminder of the growing movement to address and eliminate the blind proliferation of wireless technology.
It is of the highest priority to remove wi-fi and wireless technology from schools, and to recall smart meters. Thank you to Keynote speaker Joel Moskowitz) and the Santa Clara Medical Association Alliance Foundation, who sponsored the event. The slides for the keynote presentation are available online and a video will be available shortly. Check SaferEMR.com for slides and updates.