As we approach the end of 2014, it is clear that it has been a devastating year for utility smart meters and smart grid advocates. Whether all utility executives yet realize it or not, smart meters have failed. They have failed miserably to the deliver the promised benefits. We are left with nothing but the increased costs and risks associated with boondoggle projects reminiscent of pork barrel spending bills approved in the middle of the night by a Congress wanting to get home for the Christmas holidays.
The Year in Review
Here is a list of some of the most important articles and events highlighted this year at SkyVision Solutions:
- Major U.S. Utility Says “No Rational Basis” for Mandating Smart Meters
- Nine Reasons Why Today’s Smart Meter Systems Are a [Big] Mistake
- The Smart Meter Canard
- Smart Meter Privacy Invasion ALERT
- Utilities Can Monitor Home Occupancy Using Smart Meters
- Ralph Nader’s Viewpoint on Smart Meters: A “Step Toward Technological Despotism”
- When Smart Meters Get Hacked: The Nightmare Scenario
- Smart Meters Can Be Hacked to Order a Power Blackout
- Smart Meters Increase the Risk of Fires!
- Smart Meter Fires Spread to Nevada: “Be Very Aware, Very Vigilant” Says Fire Chief
- Smart Meter Failures a ‘Catastrophe’ in Saskatchewan
- Analog Meters Withstand “Hot Sockets” Better Than Smart Meters
- Smart Meter Privacy Invasions Are Not Justified in a Democratic Society
- Arizona Smart Meters Not Established as Safe
- Published Article: Symptom Development from Exposure to Wireless Smart Meters
Whether the issue ranges from privacy to cyber threats to fires to health effects, it has been all bad news. Furthermore, there have been news reports that question the fundamental underpinnings of why governments and the smart grid industry were supposedly trying to ever sell us this smart meter fiasco of a project in the first place.